Our Services > Garbage & Recycling Information > Sanitation & Recycling Information
Sanitation & Recycling Information
- Recycling Information - North Hempstead residents regardless of garbage district have a recycling program. Recycling includes glass, metals, plastics #1, #2, #4, #5 & #6 and paper (including newspaper, magazines, paper & hard cover books, phonebooks, junk mail and corrugated cardboard). The collection schedules vary among communities in accordance with individual garbage districts. Some garbage districts supply their residents with the appropriate recycling can, but others may not. It is important to know your garbage district and carter when trying to obtain information.
- Click Here to download a copy of North Hempstead's Guide to Recycling.
- Resident Drop-off - North Hempstead offers the opportunity to properly dispose of recyclable and non-hazardous waste. Electronic waste and other recyclable items, can be returned free-of-charge. For non-hazardous waste, such as general refuse, furniture, residentially generated construction, demolition debris and yard waste there is a minimum charge of $5.00 (includes 100lb disposal, $1.00 per each additional 20 lbs). Please note that as of January 1, 2017 payments can only be made via credit or debit, cash will no longer be accepted. The credit card processing service utilized by the Town of North Hempstead charges 2.35% on credit card charges and 1.95% on debit card charges. The minimum service fee on credit card charges is $1.50 and the minimum service fee on debit charges is $1.95.
Note: The service fee is charged to the customer, the user of the service, rather than being passed along to all taxpayers.
Proof residency is required. Commercial vehicles are not allowed. Open: Sunday from 7:30am to 2:30pm at 999 West Shore, Roslyn, Effective 01/01/2017.
- Call 311 for Resident Drop-Off Holiday Schedule.
E-Waste, Batteries And Bulbs
- Effective May 1, 2017 E-waste can only be dropped off at the Transfer Station on Sundays between 7:30 AM and 2:30 PM, and at STOP events. THE SWMA building will no longer be accepting e-waste. Proof of residency (driver’s license) will be required to drop off e-waste. Only e-waste covered under the NY State law will be accepted.
- Click here to view accepted e-waste items.
- Effective May 1, 2017 SWMA will no longer accept batteries, oil, or fluorescent bulbs and tubes at the Transfer Station or SWMA. Residents may continue to drop those items off at the annual STOP events, where a licensed hazardous waste contractor permitted to accept those items will be on hand, or use one of many more convenient year round options listed here.
*Update: As per NY State law beginning January 1, 2015, residents may no longer dispose of electronic equipment in landfills, waste-to-energy facilities, in the trash or at curbside for trash pickup. Electronic waste can be disposed at the Town's S.T.O.P. program or by the methods listed by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
Additional Garbage and Recycling Information
- S.T.O.P Program (Stop Throwing Out Pollutants)
North Hempstead's S.T.O.P. program offers residents of North Hempstead the opportunity to dispose of their household hazardous waste, electronic waste (E-Waste), compact fluorescent bulbs, rechargeable, lithium, button and car batteries, disposal of unwanted and expired pharmaceuticals, the safe destruction of paper shredding while you wait and watch in an environmentally friendly manner, and residents are welcomed to bring clothing and gently-used household items that will be donated to charity.
- Recycling Buckets -Information on how to acquire additional or replacement recycling buckets. Starter (new residents) and replacement blue recycling buckets are still available to residents at SWMA (only) for residents living within one of the five Town of North Hempstead managed garbage districts. Residents living in incorporated villages or independent garbage districts, which manage their own area’s trash and recycling collection services, may purchase a blue recycling bucket for $20.00, or purchase a 20 to 32 gallon receptacle for setting out bottles and cans for collection.
- Carters & Pick- Up - Contact information for residential carters within the Town operated district.
- Garbage Collection Schedules - Garbage collection schedules for Town operated districts. If you live in a village or commissioner operated district, please see below.
- Garbage Districts - Contact information for village and commissioner operated garbage districts within the Town of North Hempstead
For further information, please call 311 if within the Town or (516) 869-6311 if outside the Town.