Our Services > Garbage & Recycling Information > Sanitation & Recycling Information
Sanitation & Recycling Information
- Recycling Information - North Hempstead residents regardless of garbage district have a recycling program. Recycling includes glass, metals, plastics #1, #2, #4, #5 & #6 and paper (including newspaper, magazines, paper & hard cover books, phonebooks, junk mail and corrugated cardboard). The collection schedules vary among communities in accordance with individual garbage districts. Some garbage districts supply their residents with the appropriate recycling can, but others may not. It is important to know your garbage district and carter when trying to obtain information.
- Click Here to download a copy of North Hempstead's Guide to Recycling.
- Virtual Recycle Store - Residents can now learn where and how to properly dispose of just about any item, from aerosols to asbestos and books to batteries, with the simple click of the mouse. This comprehensive, online recycling resource not only provides a listing of where and how to properly dispose of recyclables but also suggestion on donating used and unwanted items such as eyeglasses.
- Resident Drop-off - North Hempstead offers the opportunity to properly dispose of recyclable and non-hazardous waste. Electronic waste, batteries, compact florescent bulbs and other recyclable items, can be returned free-of-charge. For non-hazardous waste, such as general refuse, furniture, residentially generated construction, demolition debris and yard waste there is a minimum charge of $5.00 (includes 100lb disposal, $1.00 per each additional 20 lbs). Please note that as of January 1, 2017 payments can only be made via credit or debit, cash will no longer be accepted. Proof residency is required. Commercial vehicles are not allowed. Open: Sunday from 7:30am to 2:30pm at 999 West Shore, Roslyn, Effective 01/01/2017.
- Call 311 for Resident Drop-Off Holiday Schedule.
E-Waste, Batteries And Bulbs
*Update: As per NY State law beginning January 1, 2015, residents may no longer dispose of electronic equipment in landfills, waste-to-energy facilities, in the trash or at curbside for trash pickup. Electronic waste can be disposed at the Town's S.T.O.P. program or by the methods listed by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
Click here to view accepted e-waste items.
North Hempstead offers the opportunity to properly dispose of E-Waste, rechargeable, lithium and button batteries and CFL bulbs at 802 West Shore Road Port Washington, NY 11050 from 10a.m. to 2p.m. Monday to Friday.
- S.T.O.P Program (Stop Throwing Out Pollutants)
North Hempstead's S.T.O.P. program offers residents of North Hempstead the opportunity to dispose of their household hazardous waste, electronic waste (E-Waste), compact fluorescent bulbs, rechargeable, lithium, button and car batteries, disposal of unwanted and expired pharmaceuticals, the safe destruction of paper shredding while you wait and watch in an environmentally friendly manner, and residents are welcomed to bring clothing and gently-used household items that will be donated to charity.
- Recycling Buckets -Information on how to acquire additional or replacement recycling buckets.
- "Recycle The Rain" Program - Information on how to participate in the "Recycle the Rain" program.
- Composting Cooperative - Information on the Town's Composting Cooperative.
- Carters & Pick- Up - Contact information for residential carters within the Town operated district.
- Garbage Collection Schedules - Garbage collection schedules for Town operated districts. If you live in a village or commissioner operated district, please see below.
- Garbage Districts - Contact information for village and commissioner operated garbage districts within the Town of North Hempstead
For further information, please call 311 if within the Town or (516) 869-6311 if outside the Town.