|| in North Hempstead
Information for Homeowners
North Hempstead has joined efforts with the New York State Energy Research and Development Agency (NYSERDA), Green Jobs Green New York, and Home Performance with ENERGY STAR¨ to provide North Hempstead residents with an innovative program to retrofit homes to reduce energy costs and improve energy efficiency.
What is the program?
1. Energy Audit
Once your application is approved, you will schedule an energy audit of your dwelling with a participating Building Performance Institute (BPI) accredited contractor. During the audit, the contractor will perform a number of diagnostic tests, including:
- Assessing the existing insulation
- Conducting a blower door test to measure the amount of air leaking into and out of the home
- Evaluating your home's heating, cooling and hot water systems
- Checking appliance and lighting efficiency
- Performing a health and safety inspection
Based on the results of the audit, the contractor will prepare and provide you with a report that contains a list of recommended improvements along with the cost of the improvements and the estimated energy and cost savings. You will have an opportunity to work with the contractor to decide which energy efficiency measures to install.
3. Savings and Comfort
Every improvement, some simple and some complex, can result in significant energy savings. Some of the improvements that are covered under the program include:
- Insulation and air sealing
- Energy efficient lighting
- Replacement of windows, skylights, and storm doors
- Upgrades to or replacement of heating and hot water systems
NYSERDA offers financing options on home energy improvements at a low interest rate when using a BPI Accredited contractor. In addition, you may be eligible for rebates or other financial incentives from PSEG LI, National Grid and NYSERDA.
For financing and loan information, please call NYSERDA at 1-800-361-5663 or visit http://www.nyserda.ny.gov.
The two loan choices available are:
Option 1: On-Bill Recovery Loans
An On-Bill Recovery Loan allows you to have your loan payments built into your utility bill. You’ll have no extra bills each month and nothing new to keep track of. Even better: your monthly payments will be calculated not to exceed the expected amount your energy upgrades will save you on energy costs. So your energy savings cover most or all of your payment.
Option 2: Smart Energy Loans
Smart Energy Loans offer affordable interest rates, flexible terms and simple repayment options. Paying for a Smart Energy Loan is similar to any other conventional loan. You make monthly payments to NYSERDA’s loan servicer by check or automatic bank withdrawals.
For interest rates and more information on financing please visit http://www.nyserda.ny.gov or call 1-800-361-5663.
How to get started?
- Complete the free/reduced cost energy audit application. Before you submit the application, we invite you to call us at 516-869-6311 so that we can review it with you over the phone. Since incomplete applications may be rejected, we are available to help you make sure you have answered everything and provided all the information that NYSERDA needs to get you into the program.
2. Obtain summaries of your home's energy usage over the past 12 months from your utility providers. PSEG LI and National Grid provide this information online and by phone. For a summary of your home's oil usage, please contact your oil provider.
3. Mail, email, fax or complete the application online plus the 12-month energy usage summaries to:
Mail: GJGNY Audit Fax: (866) 335-6306
PO Box 12129 Online: http://www.nyserda.ny.gov
Albany, NY 12212 Email: GJGNY-Audit@csgrp.com
What should I do with the audit results?
When the audit on your home has been completed and you have received the report from the auditor, contact the Town of North Hempstead Long Island Green Homes Representative at 311 or 516-869-6311 or NYSERDA (1-800-361-5663) to learn more about how to get the work done on your home and what financing options are available.
If you have questions at any point in the process, please call:
The 311 Call Center at 311 in North Hempstead
or (516) 869-6311 outside of North Hempstead