Home > Update
Winter Storm Update
A winter storm is expected to take place on Wednesday, March 21 through Thursday, March 22. An estimated 6 - 10 inches of snow is possible for our area. The expected high winds could cause downed trees and power outages.
Garbage and recycling collection has been canceled for Thursday,
March 22. Garbage pickup will resume on the next regularly scheduled
collection day. All Project Independence food shopping rides will begin at 11 a.m. on Thursday, March 22.
Please move your cars off the streets and into your driveway so that Town snowplows can clear the roads more effectively. Don’t leave your house unless absolutely necessary. It is important to make sure you have enough medication, food, water and supplies on hand.
Please remember to not throw snow back into the street when you are shoveling, toss the snow onto the lawn. Also, please clear any hydrants by your home to allow firefighters to see and access them in case of an emergency.
Please check on elderly neighbors to see if they need any help. We’re a family here in North Hempstead and we need to look out for each other.
Call 311 or 516-869-6311 if you have any questions or, if you are a North Hempstead resident and have a road that has not been plowed. The Town’s 311 Call Center will be open and also operating at Town Hall in addition to the location at "Yes We Can" Community Center.
Those who have lost power or need to report downed power lines can call PSEG-LI at their emergency phone line at: 1-800-490-0075.
Closings and Cancellations for Thursday, March 22
- Garbage and recycling collection has been canceled for Thursday, March 22. Garbage pickup will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day.
- Early bird hours are canceled for Tully Park.
- Food shopping scheduled for Wednesday, March 22 will begin at 11 a.m.
- Senior program cancellations include New Hyde Park Seniors and Mineola Golden Age
- Project Independence's Tai Chi class scheduled at the Roslyn Community Center and Fushillo Park have been canceled.
- Project Independence's Great Neck Advisory has been canceled for Thursday, March 22.
- Project Independence's Yoga class at the Port Washington Senior Center has been canceled for Thursday, March 22.
-Project Independence's Brain Games at the Port Washington Library has been canceled
-The Port Washington Senior Center is open
Closings and Cancellations for Wednesday, March 21
- All Project Independence taxi rides for food shopping and medical appointments scheduled for Wednesday have been rescheduled.
- The Board of Zoning Appeals Meeting (BZA) is canceled for Wednesday, March 21
- Extended hours for the Clerk’s Registrar’s office on Wednesday have also been canceled.
-Town parks facilities will remain open until further specified.
-Garbage and recycling will be collected as regularly scheduled. Please
put your garbage and recycling out this evening, Tuesday, March 20, as
it may be collected earlier than usual.
-The North Hempstead "Yes We Can" Community Center will be closing at 2
p.m. today, March 21 and the after school program is canceled.
-Michael J. Tully Park will be closing at 3 p.m. today, March 21.
Please call 311 or 516-869-6311 for updates on cancellations and closings or visit www.northhempsteadny.gov.